You hear these words everyday: going green, environmentally friendly, sustainability, etc. What does it all mean and what does it mean to you when small companies like YourCover GO GREEN? Well to me, it’s important for everyone to be more environmentally conscientious by paying more attention to their ecological foot prints. There is only one Earth, that we know of, and we should take better care of our home.
When companies, small and large alike make an effort to be responsible citizens of the world by doing what they can, it can really make a huge positive impact.
Here are some ways YourCover has been going green:
1. SAVE ELECTRICITY AND TURN OUT THE LIGHTS!
You may not realize this, but wasting electricity also wastes natural resources and pollutes the environment. Much of our electricity is produced by burning non renewable fossil fuels such as coal, natural gas, and oil. So not only are we wasting a limited resource, but we are also emitting large amounts of carbon dioxide into the atmosphere. It may not seem that important, but saving electricity by simply turning out the lights when you can helps the environment. This goes for any electronic devices you may have plugged in. Unplugging unused electronics can also save you money because electricity is still in use when devices are plugged in an outlet.
Here at YourCover, we recycle anything and everything we can, especially paper goods. According to ecocycle.org, here are some facts about recycling that you should know:
- Recycling 1 ton of paper saves 17 trees, 2 barrels of oil (enough to run the average car for 1,260 miles), 4,100 kilowatts of energy (enough power for the average home for 6 months), 3.2 cubic yards of landfill space, and 60 pounds of air pollution. Trash to Cash
- Over ½ million trees are saved each year by recycling paper in Boulder County. Eco-Cycle
- If we recycled all of the newspapers printed in the U.S. on a typical Sunday, we would save 550,000 trees–or about 26 million trees per year. California Department of Conservation
- If every household in the U.S. replaced just one roll of 1,000 sheet virgin fiber bathroom tissues with 100% recycled ones, we could save: 373,000 trees, 1.48 million cubic feet of landfill space, and 155 million gallons of water. Seventh Generation Co.
- The U.S. is 5% of the world’s population but uses 25% of its natural resources. Environmental Protection Agency
3. USE BIODEGRADABLE PRODUCTS!
We switched over to biodegradable packaging peanuts! Those tiny things are super bad for the environment because it can take forever for them to breakdown, if at all, so using the biodegradable ones are a major plus!
4. PAPER FREE OPTION!
Along with a printed photo magazine cover, YourCover provides a downloadable option of your custom magazine cover. This is ideal for those on a very short deadline and it’s all on your computer! No paper involved!
Have more ideas about how YourCover can go green? Email us at support@YourCover.com.